Saturday 27 December 2014

500 word evaluation.

For are work we were given the task of making a LSG(learning survival guide) for North notts College, We first had to draw up some ideas of what we should do.My first ideas(and the most simple)was what can be found in the college it's self, for example stationary (rulers, pencils,etc.)I thought against the idea though as it would have been to simple and not as eye catching.
We were shown past LSG guides and this gave us a idea of what to do, and what not to do.
For example some lacked colour or imagination.We were then able to determine from this what we wanted to a archive.
I started to develop my first idea,Which I did on the computer.

As you can see I took the concept of The Dominos pizza menus.
I used my basic computer skills to redesign the logo. I made it up of squares and filled the top two squares with images that relate to education (I choose a hat that you get at graduation which would represent what you will achieve by going to North Notts.The second one is a trophy that would represent the rewards you get at the North notts colledge.I found these to be appropriate for my first learning guide.The colors where the same ones as used by dominoes to ensure that people could see the resemblence.I wanted my target audience as a lot of people will have seen or had Domineos before.

My second  LSG design was done using photography. This time I brought in a common object (which was a Game boy in my case). I then started to take pictures of it from diffrent angles,This was to determine which one I would use for the front of my second LSG guide.
When I finally sorted out a picture I went onto Photoshop and editors the Game boy.While on Photoshop I edited the color so it was a more red colour(To relate to the main color of North notts College).I decreased the colour slightly so that it gave it a more professional look.I then made the back of the booklet the same colour.I USED a mixture of Photoshop techniques like saturation,colour balance,

My third LSG design was my final idea. This one went through a lot more thinking then the last two.My idea included using a artist called Peter Strain who I researched into (This research can be found in past blog entry's)  I looked at the way he used fonts the placement of the fonts,colour,size,etc...
I decided from this research I would make a figure up of words that related to the colledge (e.g Path,future,friends,achieve,etc..) this gave the person who would look at the front of the learners survival guide a idea of what the feeling and emotions they would be going throughout while in colledge, what it would be like to be in North Nottinghamshire colledge.
I then started to pick the appropriate colours would be for the texts. These colours would be the ones used in colledge e.g red and white.
As I started to build up my idea I came across a major problem with the picture (which I had drawn by hand taken a photograph of) Because the lines were not dark enough the filling tool on Photoshop could not render them and the colour will over fill everything on the page.  Plus the actual design (when issues mentioned before) had been sorted out, did not have my desired finish.
So I decided to keep the concept of text making up the LSG (learners survival guide) and
Built on from my other idea.This time thought the text did not make up any figure .I researched diffrent types of font (Taken from Dafont.com)and filled a information bubble (which represented speech) with diffrent,Bold, styles of font.
Each having words relating to colledge .
I then stated to think about the back ground and what could be done to give it a more intresting and unique touch.My idea was to paint the back ground my self with a mix of red,white,and green(colors of North Nottinghamshire) .
I stuck the speech bubble with diffrent fonts included onto the painted back ground and began to draw small black pictures that had meanings related to colledge.
I then started to edit my design through Photoshop (I came across minor errors, mainly spelling mistake which had not been seen before hand)But managed to make the design to a good enough standard.

I was very happy with this choice and felt that this design all together was a lot more intresting and was one of my favorite three.In the future though I will be careful of spelling errors and make sure lines are filled in.






No comments:

Post a Comment