Monday 9 March 2015

comic layout ideas

For my comic work I decided to look at the diffrent types of layouts in comics and magazines.This would help me with creating my choice and how dramatic I would like it to be.
Here are some examples I found that inspired me:
The first one that caught my eye was this comic strip that seemed to use semi real people and then using comic effects to make them blend in. The background includes a varsity of colours that draw your attention and seem to fit in with the comic quite well..I like how parts of the comic have been draw (and I assume are made to look like so).
The layout it's self is quite standard but fits well.This makes it so that the comic goes in order and is easy to read.
Text is placed in little boxes that separate it from the picture so ,again,makes it easy to red. 

This comic features a black and white colour effect which gives it a dramatic look.Some pancakes of the comic are darker then other this too me adds drama and gives a nice subtle effect.In my work I would like to achieve something similar to this if possible.Thsi comic,like the first one,is easy to read and understand. Even though there is no actual writing.Detail has been put into this work .The layout itself is very slanted(as if it will fall off the page) And the borders have been outlined.

Last but not least I have picked one if the most simple layouts(this is just standard as you can see and there's no comic in its self).Thsi layout gives me a idea for my own as I want my comic to have a sketchy border to it.
This will be my focus through out. 
My final idea is to make my comic similar to this style (but still keep the Jim Davis simple panel style) :
My favorite part about the idea above is the way the boarders are not at all straight and give the comic a bit more life to me.


While searching for layout ideas I cam across a very useful comic direction guide.This gave me the idea of how I would go about pacing a comic ans how the audience would read one of my comics if I decided to do it in this way.(As seen below)
The red arrows give indication of the pace as stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment