Thursday 29 December 2016

personal statment draft 2

Throughout my studies at school I soon realised how much I loved illustration and that I would love to peruse it as a career.These desires were then continued when I started a three-year course at North Nottinghamshire college where I studied Art and Design, continuing all the way to foundation level. While doing this course I took on many skills which included: Time management, note taking and working in a team environment to complete a set task or
assignment .I feel that all of these are essential in the Art industry. Examples of more important skills of the art industry include using materials such as: Chalk, ink, water colour , and computer programs such as Photoshop and Illustrator. By learning all of these techniques this has helped to make me versatile in a range of different art mediums. Experimenting with these mediums over time helped me to redefine and adapt my illustrational style and how i could subsume my line work and composition to make a powerful piece. While studying at University my aim is to continue this using my Black and white Noire style.
During the three years of study I took part in high amounts of research into artists and illustrators such as Egon Schiele, John Waterhouse, and also Antonio Rosetti. All of which i took a great deal of inspiration from as I really admired the ethereal quality's of their work and how large , in scale, the paintings actually were. Along side looking into artists i also looked into subject matter that i could study and integrate into my work. This lead me to look into the human anatomy, both male and female respectably ,I looked deeper into how it was perceived and built up my own
feelings towards the subject matter. My love For anatomic illustrations is evident in my many art pieces taken which are all presented in either a natural line work or heavy and bold abstract style. These art pieces were influenced by the life drawing sessions I did over two years. In life drawing sessions we would use a range of different techniques and processes.
Over the past three-years I have worked at a local gallery working with both children and adults aged 5-80 years old. This work was carried out at my local art gallery in Worksop alongside a experienced artist who was local to the area. At the gallery I would help stock supplies, set up work shops in advance, and help students with any artistic problems they may have had.I clocked over two hundred hours of work experience while there and felt this was a massive part of my progress and a great chance to have a first hand look at one of the most important roles in the art industry. Along side this I also worked with fellow students on a commission which had come from the Worksop Bus station community build. For this commission we were instructed to make Window vinyl's that would help the building meet curtail health and safety standards. The designs used in this process had been developed over several months using a strict design brief and was later on lay red to the glass and polished. To add to this I was later on picked , out of 15 plus students, to make a art piece that would hang in the centre for the public too look at as they walked past.
Another thing to add was 2 years ago I worked on a commission given to me by a former Art therapist whom had whished to have a painting simalr to the works of the late Jackson Pollock ,After speaking to him about the colours ,and the size of the canvas he wanted the finish piece to be on, I began to make experimental pieces using drastic and bold colours to try and simulate the daring pieces Pollock had made before When I had completed the work a week later  the work was received and well reclaimed. Also with the experience and the clients thanks I was paid £50 upfront for the work. This was of course a massive bonus along side gaining valuable experience.
My hobbies outside of my work and college life include , of course , Sketching and doodling whether that be on the train or sitting around and people watching.I feel that some of my best sketch work has come from spare of the moment observations.By doing this it has helped my work greatly as the biggest part of my work is the people around me and how the interact on a day to day basis.Evidence of this can be found in one of many sketch books i filled out.visiting galleries, which is something i have done a great deal.Over the course of many years i have explored galleries like the Tate modern,Tate Britain ,Manchester gallery ,Liverpool Gallery of art and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment