Wednesday 14 December 2016

personal statement draft 1

Through out my studies at school I soon realised how much I loved art and illustration and how much I would like to peruse it as a career. This was then carried out when I did a three-year course at North Nottinghamshire College. Through out the course I have learnt many valuable skills including time management, note taking, which has helped many times when doing units, and also working as a team to complete a task. Other things I have learnt include using materials such as chalk, biro paint and making a images on programs including Photoshop and illustration. This helped to understand which ones I enjoyed using the most which in the end was black and white noire style illustrations using pen and paper. All these helped me to create pieces that I can be found in my art portfolio, which has been redefined over the last few months.
Experimenting with different mediums over time has helped me to redefine my style by helping me figure out line work composition and thickness.One thing I love is to see the intricate detail of a line drawing pulled together to make a beautiful and expanded piece. While being at university, I hope to continue to illustrate and achieve this.
Over the course I did high amounts of preparation and researched into many artist such as Egon Schiele and John William Waterhouse whom I took some of my subject matter from, I really like the ethereal quality of their work and how huge the paintings were in real life. one of the most inspirational and important artist is in fact Rosseti who has played the biggest part by far in my work and how i constructed it.My love of the female and male anatomy and shown in my many illustrations and how I love to show them in many different ways, abstract or not. I take many different poses and female anatomy references from magazines such as Playboy and Penthouse which have many images I have used for past Units.Both magazines have helped me when it came to needing reference images but more importantly when i needed contextiual reference of years before social expectance changed.

In the past I have volunteering for over 3 years at my local art gallery called ‘The Gallery’ located in Worksop. In this time I helped support the teacher and worked with both children and adults aged 5-80 years old. This was a incredible opportunity as it gave me the chance to experience the Art industry first hand. While in University I would like to continue this further as it would continue to families me with the Art and design industry and perhaps help me to acquire a stable job in the future and perhaps later in in life I would love to work in a gallery or in a art work place as it would be a great opportunity to meet other artist
Another part of past experience was in fact working on the Worksop bus station as commission work with other students in my year. This included making window vinyl’s that would help meet the health and safety standard, these had been designed over several months by us and then layered onto windows. Also on this project I was chosen out of 15 plus students to make a wall hanging piece that has since been put up on the wall for all to see as they walk in.

Another thing to add was 2 years ago I worked on a commission given to me to create a piece of art work for a art therapist. He had requested that I do a splatter painting using a red and yellow theme.at the end of this commission I received £50. This, much like the bus stop project, was a great opportunity to get a real grasp of the art industry.
My hobbies outside of my work and college life include , of course , Sketching and doodling whether that be on the train or sitting around and people watching.I feel that some of my best sketch work has come from spare of the moment observations.By doing this it has helped my work greatly as the biggest part of my work is the people around me and how the interact on a day to day basis.Evidence of this can be found in one of many sketch books i filled out.visiting galleries, which is something i have done a great deal.Over the course of many years i have explored galleries like the Tate modern,Tate Britain ,Manchester gallery ,Liverpool Gallery of art and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment